Basic Info • 2019-2020
Head of School:
- Lawrence A. Smith '73
- [email protected]
- (860) 927-3539 ext: 224
- BA Princeton University, MA University of New Hampshire
- Appointed in 2018
- School Name: South Kent School
- School Type: College preparatory school
- Founded: 1923
- Student Description: Boys in grades 9 through 12 and Post Graduate
- Enrollment: 167 students from 21 states and 22 countries
- Boarding: 85%
- Day: 15%
- Religious Affiliation: Since its founding, SKS has maintained ties with the Episcopal Church
- Motto: “Simplicity of life, self-reliance, and directness of purpose.”
- Mascot: Cardinal
- Colors: Cardinal and Black
- Phone: (860) 927-3539
- Fax: (888) 803-0040
- Endowment: $13.5 Million
Australia, Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, China, Croatia, Finland, Ghana, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Norway, Republic of Korea, Russia, Senegal, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, United States, Vietnam
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin
- Buildings: 30
- Dormitories: 8 Bartlett, Bringhurst, Brown, Fieldhouse, Garfield, Gilder, McCoun, Woodward
- Classroom Buildings: Schoolhouse, Science Building, Library, CFI, Bringhurst Theater & Music Rooms
- Athletic Facilities: Alumni Boathouse, The Admiral James & Sybil Stockdale Arena, John and Sandy Farr Field (Turf), Brown Gymnasium, Fathers’ Field, Outdoor Tennis and Recreation Courts, Wister Fieldhouse
- Address: 40 Bulls Bridge Rd.
- Town, State & Zip: South Kent, CT 06785
- Size: 550 Acres
- Location: South Kent, CT: 45 miles west of Hartford, Connecticut; 90 miles northeast of New York City
South Kent School refers to grades 9th through 12th as “forms” third through sixth. This categorization is adopted from the British, who traditionally used this term in their boarding schools.
- Courses Offered: 44
- AP and SUPA Courses: 8
- Courses with College Credit: 5
- Average Class Size: 14
- Student to Teacher Ratio: 8:1
- Graduation Requirements: Minimum requirement of 18 credits
- Acceptance Rate: 60%
- Average SAT Score: 1100
- Total: 22
- With Advanced Degrees: 13
South Kent School is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and holds memberships in the Cum Laude Society, the National Association of Independent Schools, the National Association of Episcopal Schools, the Secondary School Admission Test Board, the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools, and the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- Total Teams: 18
- Championships: 51
- Sports are offered at the Prep, Varsity, Junior Varsity and non-competitive levels.
Recent graduates of South Kent are attending such colleges as: MIT, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown University, Boston College, Boston University, Trinity College, Pennsylvania State University, Cornell University, Colgate University Wesleyan University, Colby College and more.
For our full list of college acceptances visit our college counseling page.
- Cum Laude Society
- National Association of Independent Schools
- National Association of Episcopal Schools
- Secondary School Admission Test Board
- Connecticut Association of Independent Schools
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
Please see our Tuition page under the Admissions section of our site for this info.